History
Government
Industry
Education
Population
Quality of Life
Recreation
Community Services
Medical Facilities
Climate
Transportation
Police Department
Community Links
Home

History

Chase City is ideally located at the rural mid-point of Eastern America's manufacturing and population hubs. About half of the nation's population and manufacturing activity is located within a 550-mile radius of Chase City. An 800-mile radius encompasses almost three-fifths of the population and two-thirds of the manufacturing employment. The town is 160 miles from the ports of Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Hampton Roads. Chase City is the center of arteries connecting Maine to Florida and is 150 miles east of the Roanoke Valley and gateway to Virginia's Southwest.
Chase City was incorporated in 1873 and named for Salmon P. Chase, United States Chief Justice and Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury. It was settled by Northerners following the Civil War and became a colony for United Presbyterians. Always a center for commerce and culture, Chase City continues today as a leader in Southside Virginia's tobacco market. Distinguished leaders in the military, law, medicine and business included Virginia Chief Justice Edward Wren Hudgins and Virginia's first Congressional Medal of Honor winner, Sgt. Earle Gregory. Chase City's Company E was on the front line at Omaha Beach at Normandy in 1944.
Town of Chase City
319 North Main Street
Chase City, VA 23924
Phone: (434) 372-5136
Email: chasecity@chasecity.org